A 14-year-old boy died Tuesday evening after being struck by a car that was being chased by Alameda County sheriff’s deputies near San Leandro, officials said.
The driver fled the scene of the crash, which happened about 6:23 p.m. at East 14th Street and Ashland Avenue. The boy was struck while trying to cross the street, authorities said. A scooter he may have been riding was removed as evidence.
The incident began several minutes earlier when a deputy tried to stop a red sedan on Blanco Street near San Leandro, authorities said.
The car failed to stop and began driving in a circuitous route through the unincorporated Ashland neighborhood, including on Elgin Street and Coelho Drive.
LATEST SFGATE VIDEOS
- 2018 Women's March in San Francisco Martin do Nascimento
- San Jose Women's March 2018 Josh Koehn
- The Regulars: Godmother of Ganja Liz Hafalia, Manjula Varghese, San Francisco Chronicle
- Oscar watch: Memorable movies of 2017 Ted Andersen, SFGATE
- California's 7 National Parks Martin do Nascimento
- Storm surge and high tide floods road and cars in Ocean Park, Wash. Joshua Wilkins
- Snow falls atop Emigrant Peak at Squaw Valley ski resort Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows
- Yosemite in winter Martin do Nascimento
- Big wave day in Pacifica Mike Moffitt, SFGATE
- Wave over the seawall in Pacifica Mike Moffitt, SFGATE
The deputy chasing the vehicle repeatedly updated the speed of the car and the fact that other traffic in the area was light to medium, according to dispatch recordings reviewed by The Chronicle. A sergeant was also monitoring the pursuit.
As the driver drove south on East 14th Street, the car hit a boy at Ashland Avenue and continued with deputies in pursuit. At one point, the car was traveling in the opposite lanes of traffic on East 14th.
As the chase continued, deputies realized that the boy had been hit as he was trying to cross the street.Photo: Google Maps
“Looks like that car struck a pedestrian at Ashland,” a deputy reported. “We need Code 3 medical there.”
The suspect evaded deputies and was not immediately arrested.
- More Crime
- Big rig hauling frozen turkeys overturns on I-680 off-ramp
- Woman struck, killed by car in San Jose
Source : http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Child-suffers-traumatic-injuries-in-crash-5886890.php